Youth Mental Health First Aid
July 24, 2017 @ 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
What Is Youth Mental Health First Aid USA?
Mental Health First Aid is a public education program focused on training adults to respond and assist a young person who is developing a mental health problem or experiencing a mental health crisis.
YOU WILL LEARN
- This course teaches participants the risk factors and warning signs of mental illnesses, builds understanding of their impact, and overviews common supports systems.
- Participants do not learn to diagnose or how to provide therapy or counseling.
Mental Health First Aid teaches participants a five-step action plan, ALGEE, to support someone developing signs and symptoms of a mental illness or in an emotional crisis:
- Assess for risk of suicide or harm
- Listen nonjudgmentally
- Give reassurance and information
- Encourage appropriate professional help
- Encourage self-help and other support strategies
Mental Health First Aid uses role-playing and simulations to demonstrate how to assess a mental health crisis; select interventions and provide initial help; and connect people to professional, peer, social, and self-help care.